The Castle – 1233 until today

Castle Fischhorn

In 1233 a so-called “Ulricus de Vischarn” was mentioned. It is expected that the castle was probably owned and built by the people of Goldegg in 1200. It is still unknown how the castle became the property of the Diocese of Chiemsee. It is claimed that, Bishop Heinrich drew up documents in 1273 here. Fischhorn remained in possession of the Diocese in Chiemsee until the secularisation of 1803. The castle became the centre of the Chiemsee’s commodities in the Pinzgau. In addition, it functioned as the summer residence of the bishops. In 1515, a chapel was mentioned for the first time. During the Peasants' wars in 1526, Fischhorn was plundered and completely destroyed. The ringleaders were executed afterwards. Although the farmers had to pay a compensation of 1,000 Gulden, the rebuilding did not go that fast so that the castle was in a state of repair again in 1602. In 1674, Fischhorn was renamed as “Hofmark”.

Castle Fischhorn

The castle was rebuilt and refurbished under Bishop Johann Franz Graf Preysing in 1675. From 1808 until 1810, the castle was unoccupied. From 1811 until 1816, Fischhorn acted as the seat of the royal Bavarian administration of finances and then until 1846 it became the seat of the forestry office of the Austrian Monarchy. After that, it was unoccupied again. 13 years later, Anton Embacher of Taxenbach acquired the castle.

 

 

Castle FischhornIn 1862, Sophie Löwenstein bought together with her brother Johann II the dilapidated building. She arranged a renovation by the Viennese builder Friedrich von Schmidt in a neo-gothic style. Due to Architect Josef Wessicken, Fischhorn was completely redesigned afterwards and looked quite different than before. Wessicken also erected the farm building at the foot of the castle in 1877/1878. In 1920 a devastating fire destroyed the characteristic roof landscape and the eastern part of the building. Heinrich Gildemeister, a tradesman from Bremen, rebuilt the ruined roof. Now it resembled again the silhouettes from before 1863. During the Second World War, the Nazis possessed the castle.   

In 1944/45, the castle was used as an external concentration camp of Dachau. Immediately after the end of the war the American allied troops arrested Hermann Göring here. The castle then was empty for the next 40 years. In 2000, extensive adaptations were made for residential purposes. In the course of this adaption the neo-gothic staircase was restored.